Charlie Kindel – how to achieve focus in any endeavor you embark on by simply writing down the Purpose, Principles, Priorities, People, and Plan (the 5Ps). An endeavor could be a software development project, a job search, or a phase in your life. I have personally found the 5Ps a useful tool for small projects (e.g. prepping for a VC demo/presentation) as well as large scale projects that include 1,000s of people.
- Purpose: Why do we exist? Why are we in business? Where do we want to be in the future? What will we deliver?
- Principles: What are the non-negotiable rules and key strategies? How will we act?
- Priorities: What’s the framework for tradeoffs? In what order do you do things? How much mass or energy do you apply to each element of the plan? What is not important?
- Plan: How are we going to stage and tackle solving the problems? What are the known dates & forcing functions on the calendar?
- People: Who’s accountable for every key part of the plan?