Great week off work. Needed the break and stayed away from checking mails which was good for the brain. Enjoyed the good weather – Scotland looks great in the sun, bugs and all. Also enjoyed the World Cup. Well played France, unlucky Croatia and something I didn’t expect to say…well done Russia. All the talk of violence turned out to be…all talk.
Gave up and deleted some unwatched The Handmaid’s Tale. Plodding and miserable – there’s enough of that in real life without spending hours watching a drama which looks to have no hope.
Finally watched Ready Player One. While some of it was good, I found so much to dislike. The race for the first key was tiresome, the relationship between Art3mis and Parzival was rushed, there was some changes to the plot which didn’t work for me and the ending was just too saccharin sweet…but it’s Spielberg so probably no surprise. Just read the book and skip the movie. Or watch this homage from Gunship.
- “I Was Devastated”: Tim Berners-Lee, the Man Who Created the World Wide Web, Has Some Regrets | Vanity Fair
Berners-Lee has seen his creation debased by everything from fake news to mass surveillance. But he’s got a plan to fix it.
I fear it’s too late. Big business won’t let him.
- Stacking the Bricks: How the Blog Broke the WebDisagree.
- YouTube Debuts Plan to Promote and Fund ‘Authoritative’ News | WIRED
The video platform is less focused on getting rid of conspiracy theorists than on trying to elevate journalism it considers valuable.
Noble aim’s but it will take a lot to kill the fake news that is awash on YouTube.
- The best photos of the 2018 World CupGreat images from a really entertaining World Cup.
- How Facebook’s Rise Fueled Chaos and Confusion in Myanmar | WIREDZuckerberg has a lot to answer for.
- Simon Pegg: ‘I was lost, unhappy and an alcoholic’ | Culture | The GuardianHonest and brave interview with Pegg.
- Why Does Every Soccer Player Do This? – The New York TimesWhy indeed.
- The App Store turns 10 – AppleNice retrospective on 10 years of the App Store. Remember before the App Store when software cost money?
- 10 years of the App Store: The design evolution of the earliest apps | 9to5MacLoved this post on the App Store and how design has evolved on some day 1 apps.
- Hell for Elon Musk Is a Midsize Sedan – BloombergHell is probably calling a diver a pedo on Twitter! Musk is the Trump of the tech world.
- The full story of Thailand’s extraordinary cave rescue – BBC News
It’s a remarkable story of friendship and human endurance – and it all began with a birthday party.
Speaking of the Thailand rescue, this is a great summation of the whole story.
- What’s It Like To Be In The Room With Donald Trump? How Theresa May Deals With The Deal-Making PresidentYou can’t deal with him. Stable genius my fucking arse.
- Trump and Scotland – BBC News
The people who hit back at the president
This is how you need to deal with people like Trump.
- A Complete Guide to Getting What You WantA long read to finish with but a good one.