I’ve been loving the live text commentary on BBC sports recently and yesterday/today’s Henman match was a highpoint. Here are some of the better funnies:
- Still feels strange to look up and see Centre Court without a roof – it’s like meeting an old pal for a drink, only to find he’s gone completely bald since you last saw him.
- Relief for Moya as Henman’s groundstrokes are drawn to the net like papparazi to an intoxicated Jade Goody.
- You’ve got to love the English summer – as reliable as a 1973 Skoda.
- Moya, as outwardly emotional as a frozen haddock
- This being tennis, the players then go for a sit-down.
- Lucy Henman is in the same seat as yesterday, wearring a beige cardigan with sand-coloured wool scarf. She’s waving a large Union flag with the words “Go Tiger!” emblazoned on it. As if.
- Three seats along, Mr Henman Snr is showing all the emotion of a marble bust.
- Who’s going to blink first? Certainly not Mr Henman Snr, whose face hasn’t twitched in 14 years.
- Henman Snr looks like the sort of chap whose definition of emotional contact with his son would be a handshake twice a year – once on his birthday, and once on Christmas Day.
Top work and thanks to Tom Fordyce as it makes for a far more entertaining game if you can’t watch it live, like when your at work…although I read this all tonight. Honest.